Finance Trustee – apply by 8th Feb 2019
#techmums was founded in 2012 by Dr Sue Black, a leading advocate for the inclusion of under-represented groups in the world of technology. Sue realised many mums could have more opportunities in education, employment and entrepreneurship if they felt more positive and excited about technology – and that would benefit them, their families and their communities. So she set up #techmums, aiming to reach a million mums by 2020.
Through in-person workshops and innovative use of social media, #techmums has made significant progress on its goal, and continues to gain momentum. #techmums employs two part-time staff, with plans to hire more soon, and has a committed network of volunteers. It is also about to launch its first corporate partnership, with more in the pipeline and plans to develop more sustainable finances.
Challenges and opportunities abound, and #techmums needs a new trustee with expertise in financial management to help make the most of these. This individual will partner with four other trustees to ensure the organisation is governed effectively, efficiently and in line with regulatory requirements.
As #techmums builds a sustainable revenue stream to help the organization reach its goals, it is more important than ever that we effectively manage our finances. While we know how to operate on very limited resources, as we build corporate and other partnerships in 2019 then we need to take our financial management to the next level.
We are seeking someone who can bring strategic perspective and be operationally close-up. While we retain an accountant to manage our books, initially the role will be quite hands-on. As we build sustainable revenue streams, we plan to hire a finance expert, which would then free up the trustee to broaden their focus.
We expect time commitment to run at around 2-4 hours per week. This includes a monthly meeting of trustees, and a quarterly in-person half-day meeting in London. The position is unpaid; travel and other expenses will be covered. The appointment would initially be for a one-year term, with the aim to renew for a two year term at the end of this period.
Duties as Trustee
- Ensure #techmums delivers on its mission and strategy, manages its finances and property appropriately, and adheres to legal requirements
- Help develop strategy and related policy, set goals, evaluate performance in line with those goals
- Safeguard #techmums good name and ethos, ensure effective administration, and protect finances
- Monitor the performance of #techmums team
- Develop the role of the board of trustees in the overall management of the #techmums
Duties as Finance Trustee
- Advise board on budgets / accounts, in line with rules provided by Charity Commission, Companies Act, Statement of Recommended Practice: Accounting & Reporting by Charities
- Advise board of its financial duties and responsibilities, and the financial implications of its strategy
- Support CEO (to be hired) in developing business plan, and with finance element of funding applications
- Confirm #techmums financial resources meet present / future needs and that reserves are appropriate
- Develop accounting procedures and internal controls to assure board of financial integrity
- Ensure accountant provides accounts in timely and effective manner
Experiences and other
- Financial management experience, with accounting qualifications
- Experience of not-for-profits / charities, ideally in a board or management role
- Passion for using technology to make the world better
- Could be based anywhere in UK; able to attend quarterly trustee meetings in London
- #techmums loves diversity in all its forms – the more our trustees reflect our audience, the better!
Application and appointment
- Please apply by Friday 8th February, sending your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Initial interview will be conducted by Skype / Facetime, with face-to-face meeting for finalist candidates
- We are seeking to appoint by end of February, with the trustee assuming responsibility ASAP after that
- The appointment will initially be for a year, aiming to extend for a further two years at the end of that
- To find out more about #techmums, visit our website, our Facebook community or watch this video